Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
The Category Manager role is responsible for developing and implementing category plans and strategies for critical sub-segments of Drug Product Development and Clinical Manufacturing services and supply in order to ensure reliable, robust, agile, compliant and cost-effective supply. The manager will engage closely with colleagues in the BMS Product Development Department (including supporting both Biologics and Oral Solid Dose Development programs), External Manufacturing, and Global Procurement (GP) to enable speed and supply assurance and will encourage decisions that support long-term viability in the commercial network. The manager will support and/or lead collaborative teams that create robust preferred supplier programs, to meet the needs of the business. This leader must be able to engage technically, operationally, and commercially to understand and enable speed, high quality performance, supply assurance, and risk mitigation. Communication with a broad stakeholder group from scientist to operations and quality teams is critical for this role.
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- This leader will advise, support, and occasionally lead the application and integration of Sourcing Category Management (SCM) to meet the needs of the Integrated Product Development organization particularly for Drug Product Science and Technology (DPST). Occasionally this leader may cover Clinical Manufacturing and/or Clinical Packaging assignments. The Scope includes multiple modalities, spanning both small and large molecule projects.
- This individual is responsible for leading the sourcing, negotiating, contracting, purchasing to leverage buying power and recommend appropriate Procurement strategies and tactics to obtain desired results.
- Extensive interaction with Business Partners especially from Product Development and the Supplier Performance Management (SPM) team is required to ensure that total costs are identified and optimal value is realized in the execution of contracts.
- This leader will manage Strategic Category Management processes, procedures, supplier and category segmentation, metrics/KPI development and application, scorecard format, contract management, etc. This position will facilitate continuous improvement and ideation that will enable the Business Partner, Category and Functional Leads to achieve strategic objectives.
- Establish strategic category plans tailored to assigned categories/sub-categories, in congruence with organizational objectives and sourcing strategies.
- Work in conjunction with Product Development, External Manufacturing, and Global Procurement Category Leads to develop a preferred supplier strategy and program, and enable speed, supply delivery and responsiveness to BMS network
- Apply appropriate methods of procurement: Perform cost benefit analysis on planned acquisitions. Develop effective should cost models with the support of internal and external partners in analytics. Develop and review specifications, statements of work, performance terms, and/or acceptance criteria. Locate and select potential sources of materials and/or services. Prepare and solicit competitive bids, quotations and proposals with pertinent specifications, terms and conditions. Evaluate competitive offerings to determine the overall best offer for goods or services. (best overall value). Leverage the Sourcing Excellence team in execution of sourcing projects.
- Negotiate and/or issue contracts and purchase orders, obtaining legal review and approval of a contract when required.. Administer contracts and purchase orders from award to completion. Resolve contract and purchase order differences with suppliers.
- Support/Lead the design and implementation of governance around preferred suppliers and/or materials for assigned categories/sub-categories
- Resolve complex payment problems with supplier and user departments.
- Review and revise procurement practices to ensure their conformance with established laws.
- Supplier Relationship Management: Participate in SPM Virtual Development Operating Teams to develop, evaluate or manage internal and external relationships with suppliers
Minimum Requirements: B.S./ B.A. required (Scientific or Engineering focus preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience
- Minimum of 4 years procurement or relevant business/operations experience
- Understanding of Research and Development within the biopharmaceutical industry
- Internal stakeholder management, data/information management, category management, process redesign and continuous improvement expertise, project management and performance measurement skills
- Procurement process knowledge, contract management, financial analysis, market analysis, supplier analysis, supplier diversity, supplier management, technology utilization, strategic planning and integrated supply chain experience
Advanced Degree in Sciences, business administration, operations management, engineering or finance (e.g. Masters or PhD)
Pharmaceutical or Biotech or Medical Device experience
- Must have a proactive, creative and analytical approach to challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and manage internal stakeholders at all levels within a highly matrixed organization, working across cross-functional, cross-organizational teams.
- Demonstrated high degree of independence, requiring minimal supervision from senior management.
- Demonstrated ability to partner, manage and influence. Ability to demonstrate both empathy and assertiveness when communicating a need and/or defending a position/decision.
- Relevant industry certifications a plus (CPM/CPSM/CSCP/CPIM)
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.