At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Research Project Manager will focus on providing effective and efficient project management support for Oncology research programs at our Tumor Microenvironment Thematic Research Center in Redwood City, CA. The role will be an embedded and co-located member of the TME TRC but report into the Head of Research & Translational Medicine Project Management as part of the Project Management Team within R&D Strategy and Planning (RDSP).
At Bristol Myers Squibb, Thematic Research Centers (TRC) arethe engine of research and early development. The TME TRC is focused on identifying, developing and clinically validating therapeutics at the intersection of tumor, stromal and immune biology. By considering all major components of the tumor microenvironment we hope to deliver transformative therapeutics to cancer patients. We are a fully integrated organization from drug discovery through translational and early clinical development which exploits state-of-the-art in vitro, in vivo and ex-vivo models of cancer biology to identify and validate targets. We partner closely with colleagues in Biotherapeutics, Oncology Chemistry, Translational Medicine, Informatics and Predictive Sciences and Early Clinical Development to generate modality-agnostic therapeutics with robust biomarker and patient enrichment hypotheses to enable efficient decision making in early clinical trials. We are optimally located to complement the world-class translational expertise, biology and leading academic research centers in the area. Roles & Responsibilities:
- The Project Manager will be accountable for several full drug discovery teams of moderate complexity and is highly autonomous in their day to day work
- Partners with project team leadership and matrix team members to develop detailed research plans, to foster a high performing team, and to monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit
- Creates and maintain integrated cross-functional project timelines and prepares internal team documents
- Adds strategic value by deriving insights and has the ability to influence actionable projects against those insights
- Facilitates effective, science-based business decisions including development of scenarios as needed. Ensures all decisions are assessed as to their impacts and communicated to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner
- Highlights interdependencies and downstream impacts of strategic decisions
- Proactively identifies risks and ensures mitigation plans are implemented, balancing asset and portfolio needs
- Partners with the Project Team Leadership to foster a high performing team and monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit
- Leads creation of team norms and operating principles with a focus on cross-functional input and accountability, and robust analysis of vetted options
- Acts as an integrator within the Project Team and across the enterprise to ensure alignment and connect best practices
- Partner with Early Development Project Management to align on interdependencies and ensure smooth transition/handoff
- Develops and coordinates resource planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project
- Advise on governance expectations with focus on cross-functional input and rigorous debate
- Coaches project team members and others to drive excellence and accountability, and develop talent pipeline for project team membership
- Change Agent for continuous improvement and transformational initiatives
- For projects that are being jointly developed, works closely with a key strategic alliance partner
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences, Physical sciences or relevant discipline, advanced degree preferred
- Some project management or similar experience with 7 or more years of relevant experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry. Familiarity with Oncology research and drug development desirable
- Breadth of scientific expertise with solid understanding of project strategy and disease content to contribute to strategic discussions
- Leadership skills including situational leadership and ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a cross-functional environment
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and support scenario planning
- Excellent Project Management Skills - drives execution while balancing speed, quality, and cost. PMP certification desirable
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.